I have spent way too much time today dreaming of all the places I could visit or live. Don’t get me wrong, Chicago is a great place to live, but these long and COLD winters are getting to both of us. We talk of living somewhere warmer, but it’s all just talk so far. So I have been connected to my computer today doing all sorts of random searches. Did you know that the average daily temperature in Chicago is 52? Granted it is the average but it’s so depressing to think that 40 degrees outside in March makes me want to drive with the windows down. Am I crazy?!
So I looked up cost of living analyses and Gurnee IL has a cost of living of 103, which is higher than the national average. My cousin that lives outside of Houston has a cost of living of 87. For $124k you can get a house with 4+ bedrooms and a pool there! I think I’m going through some sort of need-to-change-something phase, or at least a grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side phase.
Life just doesn’t feel all that interesting when you work all the time. (Sorry, I need to vent, so if you don’t like hearing people vent, move on to another blog…)
I really don’t mind what I do at work, but I’ve been doing it now for almost 8 years. 8 YEARS!!! I feel stuck in a rut with my life and without having kids, it seems silly not to work. But this whole work 5 days and have 2 days off just isn’t cutting it. I don’t get home from work until around 7 every day, so cooking dinner is a rare thing at our house. My goal has been to cook once a week. Pathetic, isn’t it? We are both so tired that we usually go to bed at 9! How do people with kids do it? How do they do things with their kids at the end of the day, put them to bed, and stay up late, only to get up early again? Wow, for those of you that do it, I’m beyond impressed.
Is it silly to want another day or two to just be at home or to socialize with the friends I don’t have? I don’t think I’m crazy, but it does seem silly not to be earning/saving money while I can. It’s all about balance, right? I want that. I need that. Now I just need the courage to get it. *sigh*
Okay, my venting is done.
By the way, I did finish making my valentine hearts. They were a week late, but they were done in February, so I’m 2 for 2 for my goal of a project each month! Sorry about no photos today. It’s been a lazy day after a long week.
Kim, I can't believe it's been 8 years. That's amazing.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand the feeling stuck in a rut thing. I'll be interested to see if this leads you guys to any big changes.
i totally understand what you're saying. the only difference is i've only been at my job for two years. but i feel just the same... in a rut. and i can't help but think there is more to life than work. yeah, it pays the bills - blah, blah, blah. and let me tell you, not to deflate your dream, but another day off doesn't equate to more time to yourself. i work four days a week so you'd think i'd have more time to do stuff on friday - wrong. they fly by trying to catch up on everything i need to do - rarely things i want to do. but it might be because i'm inefficient with my time... you'd probably be better at having fridays off. now i'm venting. sorry!
ReplyDeleteI understand your venting. I've felt that, working full-time (both 5 day work weeks and 4 day work weeks) without kids. I've felt that, being at home with a kid. Sometimes I feel like I really need to find something of my own to help me feel happy & fulfilled. But then, again, if there's too much on the plate, stress & anxiety are present. It's all a balancing act. Ironically, our RS lesson was on happiness today. The teacher's grandma told her, "Find out what makes you happy, and move on with life." This teacher (who has 3 kids) said last year she tried to fill her life with goals & activities for herself to make her feel more happy & fulfilled. But she found herself more unhappy because she was TOO busy. So she pared down to the basics, and decided to start a happiness journal about just the little things in life that make her happy. And now she finds a lot more peace and fulfillment in her life. A good lesson for me. I always find myself thinking, "I'll be happy when...", when I should be making the most of every moment now.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the long comment.
I know how you feel about winters...that is one of the reasons we are moving to Atlanta. It has a low cost of living and four seasons, but winter isn't really cold and they rarely get snow. I couldn't do Houston, too flat and no seasons, but if you don't care go for it! I can't believe you've been working in Chicago at your job for 8 years! Your comment about how those with kids stay up late and go to sleep early made me laugh so hard! I think I'm insane most days for doing it, but I love my me time and don't want to spend it all sleeping :) I'm excited to see your Valentine Hearts. Why don't you come on a trip to Virginia to see Brian and Heather. Then I can come see you. It's warmer...just a thought.
ReplyDelete